Did you see Bitsy's quick tip this week about online fair-trade stores? It's a great way to find a unique item, and do some good at the same time. With the start of school fast approaching, I searched out some fantastic bags - whether you need to carry your lunch, your laptop, cosmetics, or a bunch of books, you can do it in style!
Novica: First time buyers can save an extra 7% - enter SAVE7NOVICA at checkout!
1. Wool laptop bag, 'Joy': Embroidered by hand, colorful birds and flowers are featured on this wool laptop bag. Designed to hold up to 13" laptop, there are also quilted inner pockets to hold smaller items. $69.95
2. Recycled wrapper cosmetic bag, 'New Blue' :Plastic fabric softener and liquid soap packaging is transformed into a versatile cosmetic bag. Made in Jakarta, and available in blue and green, medium and large. $19.95
3. Recycled vinyl record handbag, 'Copacabana Groove': Okay, so this isn't really a "back to school" item, but this handbag is so cool, I had to include it! This shoulder bag is made from recycled vinyl records. Since the bag is not lined, the labels and grooves of the records can be seen on the inside. $52.95.
Serrv: SERRV is a founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization (formerly IFAT) and a founding member of the Fair Trade Federation (FTF), and has been around for 60 years.
1. Recycled Lunch Bag: Rice bags are recycled into roomy lunch bags. They have an adjustable strap and easy-wipe surface. Patterns will vary, depending on availability. $18.
2. Recycled Rubber Messenger Bag: Who knew rubber inner tubes could be so stylish?! This environmentally friendly messenger is water-resistant, and fits up to a 13" laptop. The interior is lined with cotton, and has a zip pocket. Adjustable nylon-backed rubber straps. $55.
3. Retro Print Laptop Bag: Made in Nepal, this funky retro cotton bag is handwoven and quilted. Fits up to 15" laptop. Zip closure. $35.
Ten Thousand Villages: Founded in 1946, there are now 390 retail outlets throught the United States, as well the online store.
1. Riverside Messenger Bag: I love this color combination! Made in India, this bag is 100% cotton. $49.
2. Eat Drink Live Tiffin: A Whatten? This traditional Indian tiffin box, or lunch box, is made up of three stainless steel compartments with a lid. Not shown in the pic, Eat Drink Live is repeated in Hindi on the reverse side of the tiffin. $24
3. Kanga Bag: Perfect to throw into a larger bag, it's a shopping bag that folds into its own pouch. Made in Tanzania, available in assorted patterns and colors. $24.
Ebay and World of Good: Starting on Monday, World of Good will close their online store, and trade exclusively through Ebay. It's a super easy way to buy fair-trade!
1. Eco Friendly Laptop Bag - Blue Petals: Hand crafted in India, using eco-friendly wood block printing and natural dyes. This bag has multiple pockets for smaller items, and is quilted to protect your laptop. Fits up to 13" laptop. $48.
2. Wrap N Mat Lunch Wrapper - Red and White: What a great idea, a sanwich wrapper that does double duty as a place mat! BPA free and dishwasher safe. $9
3. Laptop Backpack with Solar Charger: The built in solar panel charges your cell phone or music player in approximately 2 hours. And you can listen while charging! Carries up to 15.4" laptops. Included adapters for iPod/iPhone, Mini-USB, Micro-USB, Samsung, LG, Nokia. Additional adapters available. $126.49.
What kind of bag do you carry? Do you like to carry your world with you? Or are you a minimalist? Tell us about it in the comments below!